This is part of a series of posts about useful apps to use on a rooted Android device.
AdFree removes most ads in the browser and other apps. It does this by nullifying requests to known host names in the system hosts file.
Tested version: 0.7.7
What problem does it solve?
Do you hate advertisement as I do? Get rid of it!
Technically speaking your hosts file will be modified to make apps requests to ad servers go to null pages.
- speed up browsing (less data to load)
- save some bandwidth
- save you from unwanted flashing banners
- prevent accidental touch on ads
The Bad and the Ugly
- many free apps programmers live with ads, so make your choice
- some apps will recognize the hack and they will refuse to start
- you have to start the app to check for updates
- you’ll find some black area in apps where there would have been ads
- sometimes in apps, you’ll get spinning gif waiting for banners